Frances Willard Calhoon Mathias History…

The originator to this line at present is not known, nor the date of his arrival in America. Tradition indicates however that the Calhoun Family are of Scottish origin in the area of Donegal, Scotland. The original name was Calquohoun, with many different abbreviations and spellings since then. The Calhoun family moved into north Ireland about 1600. They have thus become grouped as Scotch-Irish as many other such families. Tradition indicates a particular Calhoun family first settled in one of the Carolina states. There is some question of their port of entry since most Irish immigrants were landed either at Boston or Philadelphia. It is known that several families, moved then to the Atlantic seaboard. Bearing in mind the probability that many of them landed at Philadelphia, it becomes easier to understand that some of the early settlers in Pennsylvania were no doubt very closely related to others going to the more settled districts of the southern states, most likely at Charleston, South Carolina.
This writer has found John H. Calhoun as the oldest family head whose date of birth, death and whose wife’s name is known definitly.

WILKINS AND MARY ANN MCDANIELS CALHOUN

John H. Calhoun was born April 1, 1779 and died August 15, 1864. He was married to Rebecca Wilkin ?.
Wilkins Calhoun was born in 1820 to John H. and Rebecca, and died in 1871. He was married to Mary Ann Calhoun (McDaniels). Wilkins and Mary AnnCalhoun lived in Lancaster or Bedford County, PA where there is an area known as Patterson Calhoun Farms. There James Henry was born. Wilkins and Mary Calhoun moved to Athens Couty when James Henry was under three years old. Here, John, David, Silas, Albert, William, Mandy and Mary were born. The family moved to Vernon County, Wisconsin where the youngest child was born- George Calhoun.
A John C. Calhoon of Ohio in 1940 told that he recalls his aunts in Pittsburgh talking of his grandfather, Noble Calhoon I. It seems that Noble Calhoon I was visiting and talking with John C. Calhoon of South Carolina and his father Patrick. He rode a horse to South Carolina on a visit. While there he had several discussions regarding slavery and state rights. They disagreed so markedly that Noble decided to disown any relationship so he changed the spelling of the name to Calhoon.
This story of the change in the spelling is interesting because there was a change in the spelling of the name in the family of Wilkins Calhoon who lived at about the same time as Noble II. Assuming that the change was made for the same reason, having occured at the same time, it is reasonable to conclude that these two families were aquainted and probably related.
It is definitly known that about 1800 or just before, two brothers of a Calhoun family came to Bedford County, PA. Soon the were joined by two other brothers, one of whom stayed in the Bedford area, the other later going to West Virginia.

JAMES HENRY CALHOON- MARY PHIDELIA WAKEMAN CAHOON

James Henry Calhoon, son of Wilkins and Mary Calhoon was born on September 12, 1840 in Bedford County PA, probably in the area known as the Calhoon- Patterson Farms. James Henry came to Ohio with his parents when he was three years old. The family settled in Athens County. He was married to Mary Phidelia Wakeman in 1864. She had been born in Athens Couty in 1844. During the same years of his marriage, the family moved to Illinois, where he became a teacher in the public schools. Here, children born to this marriage were Milford Gail born 1866, Alva J., Anna (who died at an early age) and Mina. Later, the James Henry Calhoon family moved to Vernon County , Wisconsin. John Wesley was born here in 1879 at LaCrosse, WI. James Henry (as other Calhoons who had settled in a northern state) disagreed deeply with John C. Calhoun of South Carolina and others on his opinion of the slavery issue. Probably at this time, the change in the spelling of the family name to Calhoon was made. James Henry continues teaching in Wisconsin for 17 years until 1882. The family returned to New Lexington, OH in Perry County, where Janes Henry taught until a few years before his death. The family home was located on a small farm at Bear Run. Here, Alva and his wife Annie lived until their deaths. The original home had been replaced by a smaller one at this time. James Henry had been active in civic and religious circles. James Henry died on March 4, 1917 aged 70 years. Mary P. Calhoon had died in 1905. Both are buried in the cemetery in New Lexington, OH.

JOHN WESLEY CALHOON AND GEORGIA OLIVE DAVIS CALHOON

John Wesley Calhoon was born at LaCrosse, WI on October 25, 1880 (Also November 11 1878). He was the son of James Henry and Mary Phidelia Wakeman Calhoon who were teachers in Vernon County , WI until 1882. His mother had taught in a girl’s school near LaCrosse, WI and his father in the public schools during the Civil War. The James Henry Calhoon family moved to the New Lexington, OH area in a place called Bear Run. John Wesley spent his early life here and attended Bear Run School. He was married to Georgia Olive Davis also of Perry County. The family lived in Perry and Muskingum counties, in Misco, Zanesville and Crooksville. Here, Jay Walker 1898, Ray Marion (who died in infancy), Charlotte Georganna 1901, Violet Constance 1903, and John Byron 1905, were born to this marriage. This writer recalls that in Zanesville John Wesley worked at the Clarendon Hotel at a “salary” of one dollar a day. Here, in 1898 in the south western part of Zanesville on Putnam Ave. a flood swept through the city and the Calhoons were rescued by way of a small boat from a second story window. The family moved to Byesville in Guernsey County, OH and here Frances Willard 1908, Margaret Ruth 1911, Mary Fidelie 1913 and Raymond Lewis 1916 (later renamed William Raymond) were born.
In Byesville, John Wesley was owner of food product businesses in and around the area. This writer recalls hearing the story that one night John Wesley was working late (as he often did). A rap came on the door of the Calhoon home. Georgia answered it. A yong man stood there and said “Mrs. Hoon, Cal wants his lantern.” John Wesley rode through several counties in this area of OH and bought cattle from farmer friends. At a designated time with several riders on horses, he would go back and drive the cattle into Byesville and to his slaughter house on “one-eye knob” near by. His beautiful and well trained collie dog “Belle” was his faithful and valuable help in this project.
Georgia Davis Calhoon’s father John Hammond Davis volunteered in the Union Army at age 17 years at McCluny, OH. His company was Company D, Regiment 97, OVI. During the battle of Kennesaw Mountain he was injured and amputation of one leg was performed. Georgia was active in the Daughters of Union Veterans Organization.
John Wesley was involved in politics, at one time being Chairman of Republican Committimen. He was active in Masonic and White Shrive organizations and served on Boards of Education. Georgia was a member of Eastern Stars. Both John Wesley and Georgia were deeply interested in continued education for their children. In this family as a result of their parents’ interest, were a doctor, nurse, an accountant and several teachers who thus became the third generation of teachers.
Georgia Olive Davis Calhoon was born in Ferry County, OH in 1878. She died in her home in Byesville in September, 1926. John Wesley had moved to Columbus, OH where he died in September of 1939. Both are buried in the city cemetery in New Lexington, OH. A son, Ray Marion Calhoon, who died in infancy, is also buried there.
William Raymond Calhoon served with the United States Infantry from 1941 to 1945 (?) when World War II ended. He was in the first group in the Springfield, OH area trained to defend the United States in World War II. His company was one of the first to land on Guadel Canal in the South Pacific. Here he served as quarter Master. He had been sent back to Little Rock, Arkansas for further training. He was promoted to Leutenant there. The Armistice was signed while he was in Little Rock, Arkansas. He returned to Dayton. OH where he became Controller of the L. M. Berry Company of the Yellow Pages. He died in 1964 after a long illness from a fatal kidney disease contracted while he was serving in the South Pacific.

* Here are a few paragraphs concerning Calhoons who may or may not be related to us:
Patrick Calhoon and wife Catherine Montgomery were born in Londonberry County, Ireland in 1683. They moved with their 5 children in 1733 from North Ireland to Lancaster County, PA. Patrick died here in 1741. His family (as did other Calhoon families) moved to Virginia and to South Carolina. Archibald Hamilton and wife Frances Calhoon (a sister to Patrick) emigrated in 1733 from Tyrone County, North Ireland to Lancaster County, PA. They had resettled in VA by 1794. He had written of titles and estates of his Jamilton ancesty in Northern Ireland including Sir. James Hamilton.
In 1832, John C. Calhoon, became the first American Vice-President to resign from office. Mr. Calhoon had served as Vice President under two different presidents, John Quincy Adams and Andrew Johnson. But Caloon and Jackson quarreled bitterly about the issue of state’s rights. Calhoon believed that a state could nullify, or reject, any federal law which the state considered unconstitutional. When Jackson threatened to use troops and warships to enforce a federal tariff law, which South Carolina had nullified, Calhoon who was from South Carolina, resigned. He took over a vacant seat in the United States Senate, where he continued to speak out for state’s rights.
John Calhoon Baker, of Everett, PA served as President of Ohio University beginning in 1946. Mrs. Jennie Calhoon Baker would be James Henry Calhoon’s cousin.
_________________________________________________________

ABOUT THE WRITER

This history was written by Frances Willard Calhoon Mathias, 1908-2001, who resided in Tuscarawas with her husband Russell F. Mathias, 1906-1974, for many years. Both were longtime educators in the area. They had two children, Mary Margaret Mathias Krocker and Russell Calhoon Mathias. Mary married Edward K. Krocker in November 22, 1956 at the St. Therese’s Catholic Church, in Wainwright. They have 6 children: Theresa Jo Krocker Stein (Howard J. Stein); Cynthia Ann Krocker Davis (Marvin Davis); and four sons, Douglas Edward (Chris Shreiner), James Alan (Joan Schreiner), Joseph Ronald (Wanda Davis) and Scott Richard (Shannon Keiffer). The Krocker family resided in Goshen since 1958 and Teri, Cindy, Doug and Scott continue to reside there. Scott has bought the family home across from the Zeisberger Cemetery. Jim lives in Wainwright and Joe in Tuscarawas. Ed and Mary have since built a smaller home on Horger Hill Rd., between Wainwright and Goshen.
Marvin and Cindy have three sons, Mitchell Joseph (Diane Michelle), Matthew James Oppy (Erin Rebecka) and Marc Edward Russell, Doug and Chris have two sons, Daniel Edward (Dana), and Stephen Douglas (Sabrina), Jim and Joan have two children, Andrew James and Abigail Lynn, Joe and Wanda have two daughters, Kayla Nicole and Katelyn Marie; Scott and Shannon have two children, Samantha and Seth.
Dan and Dana have a daughter Sophia, who is 1 and they reside in Goshen.

Wainwright, Goshen and Tuscarawas have many family connections…

You may want to check all three pages as I have been adding a lot to
each one recently.

http://tuscarawas.tuscohio.com/
http://goshenohio.wordpress.com/
http://www.wainwright.tuscohio.com/

You also may want to “Subscribe” to one or all of them so that you get
email updates when something is added.

Feel free to add comments or replies on anything that interests you.

Thanks!
Joe

1908 – One killed while opening new coal mine near Tusky

Christian Smith, Ben Keffer and Levi Jefferson “Jeff” Mathias, all relatives, were opening a new coal mine near Tuscarawas in 1908 when a 10-ton rock and a quantity of earth fell on them.
Christian Smith was crushed by the rock and killed and Ben Keffer was badly bruised and barely able to get around. Jeff Mathias was not injured. The accident was called the worst mine accident to occur in the Tuscarawas area.

The mine where the accident occurred was located on the Parker Schupp farm which was located near Tuscarawas and was being opened by George Mathias, Jeff’s brother.
Deputy mine inspectors viewed the mine and ordered it closed permanently.

Long-time Tusky educators

Those who attended the former Tuscarawas-Warwick School in the 1940s, ‘50s and ‘60s, will surely remember Harold C. Everett and Russell F. Mathias.

Mr. Everett was school superintendent and his wife, Helen, was an elementary teacher.

Mr. Mathias was school principal and his wife, Frances, also was an elementary teacher. He also served on Tuscarawas Village Council for a number of years.

And Tusky students behaved because their superintendent and principal believed in discipline! But they all seemed to like and respect the two educators, because they were also friendly and cared about their students.